Torzewski & McInerney, LLC

Morris County Estate Planning And Litigation Lawyers

Schedule A Consultation

Personal Attention And A Professional Approach

Home » Estate Planning » Guardianships

Establish A Guardianship Before It’s An Emergency

Legal guardianships may be established to care for minor children, special needs adult children and incapacitated adults. While it is possible to establish guardianships in emergency situations, it is better for all parties if guardianships are set up before an emergency arises.

The Morris County guardianship attorneys at Torzewski & McInerney, LLC, can help your family plan ahead and file guardianship proceedings and assist with the appointment and qualification of the guardian. We can also help you when an emergency illness or injury incapacitates an adult. Attorney Thomas N. Torzewski has experience serving as a court-appointed conservator and guardian for minors and incapacitated adults. He has experience with complex cases involving contested guardianships and elder law issues as well. Contact Torzewski & McInerney, LLC to discuss your options.

Is Your Child With Special Needs Approaching 18 Years Of Age?

We represent parents applying to be the guardians of their adult special needs children. At age 18, people are legally considered adults, regardless of their ability to make legal, financial and health care decisions. To legally and properly care for your child after age 18, you will need to establish a guardianship.

Guardianships For Incapacitated Adults

We can also help you create a guardianship to protect the interests of an elderly or incapacitated adult. Adults may be temporarily or permanently incapacitated by injury, illness or dementia. If they cannot make or communicate important decisions, they need a trusted party to act and advocate on their behalf. When there are no financial and health care powers of attorney in place, the court can appoint a guardian to make these decisions. As a legal guardian, you can stop physical abuse, financial abuse and undue influence of an elderly loved one. You can also ensure that the ward is receiving appropriate health care and daily care.

Meet With Our Lawyer To Learn How We Can Help

Please speak with us to learn more about how a guardianship can help your family. To schedule an appointment, please call 973-359-0080 or contact us online.